Terms & Conditions
Rail Guru reserves the right to change prices & product without notice whether such changes are related or not to alterations in rates of exchange. Rail Guru may make changes to the Rail Guru website without notice to you.
- European rail Conditions
- BritRail Conditions
- General Conditions
- Lost Tickets
- Rail Protection Plan
- Advance Booking
- Booking fees / How to use your pass
- Responsibility & Liability
EUROPEAN RAIL CONDITIONS
1. Passes and tickets are strictly personal, non-transferable and only valid with a passport, official identity card or special military travel permit. Presentation of this document to the European control staff on trains and shipping lines is compulsory (in UK upon request).
2. Passes and Eurail tickets may not be purchased, issued to or used by residents of Europe, UK, the Russian Federation, Turkey, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Once you have lived in the UK, Europe, Russia, Turkey, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia for 6 months you are no longer eligible to use/purchase any Eurail or Britrail ticket or pass product.
3. Transportation covered by the pass or ticket is subject to the Uniform Rules concerning the contract for International Carriage of Passengers and Luggage by rail (CIV). In the event of carriage by sea, the legal provision of the individual sea carrier applies.
4. Passes are not valid until the first and last day of validity and passport number are entered by a railway official before travel begins. Usage must begin within six months of the date of issue or as stated on the ticket. Holders are not allowed to validate their own passes.
5. Eurail tickets may be purchased up to 4 months in advance and are valid for 2 months from the first date of validity as nominated by the passenger at the time of purchase/ticket issue. Passes may be purchased up to 6 months in advance.
6. The passholder may travel on any dates within limits of the period of validity. Travel must be completed latest by midnight on the last day of validity. The pass also entitles the holder within the period of validity to many transportation bonuses such as those on ferries, boats and buses (either entirely free or at a discount) as described in accompanying ticket documentation - subject to change without notice. Free bonuses may necessitate use of a travel day on the pass.
7. For all Flexi passes, every day before boarding the first train or ship the date of use must be entered in blue/black ink by the traveller in the corresponding box on the calendar. Dates must be inserted in chronological order in the following way, for example: May 27 = 27/05.
8. 7.00pm rule: If your train departs before 19.00 hrs (7 pm), you need to use two travel days. If you are travelling on a direct night train (with no connections or layovers) that departs after 19.00 hrs (7 pm) and arrives after 04.00 hrs (4 am), you only need to use one day: the day of arrival. Please note: your Pass must be valid on the day of departure and arrival.
9. When using an overnight ferry covered by the pass, the holder may enter the date of departure or the date of arrival.
10. Additional fees for seat reservations, sleeperettes, couchettes, sleeping car accommodation, meals, extra services on board, supplement charges on certain ships, port taxes, luggage forwarding, etc. are payable.
11. Premier Trains -Premier Trains are sold as an inclusive fare including the reservation fee (Eurostar, Thalys, Talgo, AVE, France-Italy TGV, Allegro, Euro City, Italy High-Speed, TGV, Sapsan, Swiss Scenic Trains, X2000 and X3000) Inclusive fares often include extra on board services which can vary according to the class of travel. Additional supplements are payable on other train services. Some train services such as EC, IC and ICE do not require a compulsory seat reservation, however are recommended in peak travelling periods.
12. Passes and Eurail Tickets do not guarantee a seat on a train, bus or passage on a boat unless reservations are made in advance. For certain day/night trains, buses and boats a reservation is compulsory. For some regional and shorter journeys reservations are not allowed. A booking file fee applies to all confirmed train reservations, in addition to the reservations charges imposed by the railways.
13. For 1st Class travel with a pass or ticket marked 2nd Class, the difference between the full 1st and 2nd Class fares on the respective route must be paid.
14. If the traveller cannot present, upon request, a valid passport, official identity card or special military travel permit with his/her pass, the local control staff is authorised to demand payment, in addition to the full fare of a fine charged in conformity with the regulations of the railway concerned, both in local currency.
Control staff are authorised to confiscate the pass and demand payment of the full fare plus a fine, both in local currency, when the pass has been used in the following circumstances:
- The entries have been altered or tampered with;
- The pass is forged;
- It is used by anyone else other than the person to whom it was issued; and
- It is being used beyond its period of validity.
Travelling on a non-validated pass or with a Eurail Flexi Pass on which the travel date in the corresponding box in the calendar on the pass has not been entered or entered with a pencil instead of ink, authorises control staff to demand the payment of the full fare plus a fine, both in local currency.
15. A Youth Pass may be used by a person under 26 years of age. A Child Pass may only be used by persons under 12 years of age, unless the specific pass allows otherwise.
16. A Saver Pass can only be issued if payment is made for 2-5 people travelling together at all times and is valid for all persons listed on the control voucher. The additional conditions are also mentioned on this control voucher. A Twin Pass requires 2 people to travel together at all times.
17. Consecutive Passes are valid for the period indicated on the pass and the passholder may travel on any date within the limits of the period of validity.
18. Flexipass holders are entitled to a specified number of days within the period of validity and the date of use must be entered in (blue/black) ink or ballpoint pen before boarding the first train each day in the corresponding box on the calendar. Party Pass holders are required to travel together at all times and be of the same Pass Type.
19. Passes expire at midnight on the last day of validity. However, this validity (and that for any day of travel chosen under the Flexipass formula) may be extended through to the destination or calling points of a train that has commenced its journey before midnight, provided that the pass holder has boarded that train also before midnight.
20. 1st Class passholders should note that some trains provide Standard Class accommodation only, and that this is allowed for in the pricing of the 1st Class Pass.
21. Validated Consecutive Passes which include days when no train service operates (Christmas/New Year) will be extended by the number of days on which no service operates.
22. No supplements are required for quality trains, but additional payments will be required for reserved seats and sleeper reservations, meals etc. Seat reservations are rarely obligatory but, for busy trains/public holidays, are advisable. Sleeper reservations should be made in advance. A booking file fee applies to all confirmed train reservations, in addition to the reservations charges imposed by the railways.
23. Senior Passes are available for persons 60 years of age and over. Youth Passes may only be used by persons under 26 years of age. Child Passes may only be used by persons under 16 years of age and children under five travels free on Participating Operator Services.
24. Use of a pass that has been altered or tampered with, which is forged, which is being used by someone other than the person to which it was issued or which is beyond its validity period, will be withdrawn by Control Staff and payment for the journey being undertaken will be demanded. Other steps may be also taken.
25. A refund will be granted if an unvalidated pass is returned to the office from which it was purchased within six months from the date of issue and bears no evidence of having been tampered with. No refund can be made in Britain or if the pass cannot be produced or if lost or stolen. No refund will be made on a partially validated or unused pass.
26. For Japan and USA rail tickets, the passenger name on the ticket must correspond directly with the name in the passenger's passport.
27. Detailed conditions for each specific product offered by Rail Guru are detailed in the accompanying transportation company documentation at time of ticket issue. Copy of such conditions may be requested prior to purchase. It is the responsibility of the customer to read all documentation prior to commencement of travel.
28. Payments must be made strictly in accordance with the requirements stipulated for each product at the time of booking.
29. In general, a minimum cancellation fee of 25% is imposed on unused passes. Higher cancellation fees apply to Luxury Rail Journeys and Premier Train products and are available on request from Rail Guru. Travel documents must remain in their official ticket cover, un-used and not validated/not exchanged to be eligible for a refund application. Refunds must be submitted to the issuing office within the specified refund validity period.
30. All prices and product information indicated on our website are effective from 1 January 2015 and subject to change without notice.
All prices and product on railguru.com.au/railguru.co.nz is correct and subject to change without notice. Rail Guru may make changes to the Rail Guru website without notice to you. Rail Guru reserves the right to change prices and product without notice whether such changes are related or not to alterations in rate of exchange.
All prices are exclusive of any goods and services tax (if applicable). All rail passes are issued open dated. A Pass Issuance Fee of AUD$4/NZD$6 per pass will apply. Fees are capped if more than one product/pass is purchased. Rail Guru offers all tickets for sale in Australia or New Zealand dollars at recommended market prices, however, makes no undertaking that the prices paid for this ticket is the best applicable for the services provided. International sales conditions and distribution costs, fluctuating exchange rates, availability restrictions or other factors may reflect variance to domestic prices available in the country of travel commencement or elsewhere quoted by or on behalf of the operating railway company. Rail Guru will not accept any claim in respect of such price variance.
31. For all bookings which do not have either a pass issuance fee or a ticket issuance fee applied a non-refundable booking fee of AUD$45 or NZD$45 will apply per file. Please refer to our website for up-to-date information. Bookings made online in Australia:$4 per person per journey fee applies capped at $32 per file. Bookings made online in New Zealand: $5 per person per journey fee applies capped at $40 per file.
32. Once ticketed please contact Rail Guru for re-issue charges.
33. For any deposits or final balances paid by credit card an additional charge of 1.95% for Visa, Mastercard, and American Express will be added to the invoice value of the booking. Rail Guru reserves the right to vary this charge.
35. There is no refund on lost or stolen passes. No refund is available on City Pass products or on a Japan Rail Pass once the exchange order has been presented for the official travel pass to be issued.
36. For avoidance of doubt, Rail Guru make no representation or warranty as regards to the accuracy or correctness of any of the information contained in our brochure or website, or as given by its employees, staff, servants or agents from time to time, whether orally or in writing.
37. Rail Guru shall not be liable for any loss, damage or claim whatsoever arising out of, or in connection with, any reliance on such information.
38. All bookings are accepted subject to the conditions, tariffs and regulations as detailed in the passenger documentation and/or subsequently imposed by the rail companies, firms or persons concerned.
39. Travellers are responsible for ensuring that they have all necessary visas and appropriate travel documents prior to their departure from Australia and New Zealand.
40. Fares quoted in AUD or NZD are subject to change without prior notice. Additional local processing and amendment fees may apply to any change, cancellation or refund. Cancellation fees in Australia are subject to 10% GST.
41. Rail passes do not include the cost of admission fees to sightseeing venues/tourist attractions unless they are listed as a Bonus Travel Offer included with the pass.
43. Fares quoted in AUD or NZD are subject to change without prior notice. Additional local processing and amendment fees may apply to any change, cancellation or refund. Cancellation fees in Australia are subject to 10% GST.
- Refund applications must be submitted to the office where the pass or ticket was purchased with appropriate, original documentation, such as all components of the original pass. Any refundable amount is subject to a minimum 25% cancellation charge. A 100% cancellation fee will be applied for couchettes and sleepers if space is not cancelled and the vouchers were not endorsed with a railway official stamp.
- Handling fees and seat reservations are non-refundable.
- Lost or stolen passes and tickets are neither refundable nor replaceable. Passes may only be refunded if none of the components of the pass or package have been used and the pass or the package is not validated. Refunds when applicable, will only be paid if a pass or ticket is returned to the issuing office, totally unused, prior to validation and in its original jacket.
- All Eurail, Eurail Selectpass, and National European passes* may be presented for application for a refund up to one year from the date of issuance. (*Some regional passes can only be refunded up to 6 months from the date of issuance - refer to ticket cover at time of issue).
- Refunds for unused Eurail and Britrail sector tickets or sleeper reservations may only be considered if the ticket is returned prior to the commencement validity date on the tickets or otherwise endorsed by an European or British railway office as 'unused', prior to last day of ticket validity. This may be arranged at any respective European or UK railway station, except the arrival city on the ticket. Tickets not endorsed cannot be refunded after the validity commencement date.
- Refunds for Britrail passes will be granted if an unvalidated pass is returned to the office from which it was purchased within six months from the date of issue and bears no evidence of having been tampered with. No refund can be made in Britain or if the pass cannot be produced or if lost or stolen. No refund will be made on a validated unused pass.
- In general, a minimum cancellation fee of 25% is imposed on unused passes. Higher cancellation fees apply to Premier Train products. Travel documents must remain in their official ticket cover to be eligible for travel or refund application.
- No refund is available on City Pass products.
- No refund is available on a Japan Rail Pass once the Exchange Order has been presented for the issuance of the official travel pass.
- Additional local processing and amendment fees may apply to any change, cancellation or refund. Cancellation fees in Australia are subject to 10% GST.
- Travel insurance providing appropriate cover is strongly recommended.
- Lost or stolen passes and tickets are neither refundable nor replaceable.
- Passes may only be refunded if none of the components of the pass or package have been used and the pass or the package is not validated. Refunds when applicable will only be paid if a pass or ticket is returned to the issuing office, totally unused, prior to validation and in its original jacket.
- Refund applications must be submitted to the office where the pass or ticket was purchased with appropriate, original documentation, such as all components of the original pass.
- Refunds for unused Eurail sector tickets or sleeper reservations may only be considered if the ticket is returned prior to the commencement validity date on the tickets or otherwise endorsed by a European or British railway office as 'unused', prior to first day of ticket validity. This may be arranged at any respective European or UK railway station, except the arrival city on the ticket. Tickets not endorsed cannot be refunded after the validity commencement date.
- Tickets must be returned within 60 days of the travel date on the ticket, to the place of issue for a refund. Thereafter, no refund is possible.
- When seeking a refund for a cancelled or partially cancelled booking for which payment has already been made to a supplier, Rail Guru will not issue a refund unless and until Rail Guru receives the refunded sum in full from the relevant supplier.
As Rail Guru uses Rail Plus for all of our ticketing & after sales support please send refund requests accompanied with the original travel documents to:
In Australia: Melbourne Flinders Lane PS, PO BOX 328, Flinders Lane, VIC 8009
In New Zealand: PO BOX 9868 Newmarket, Auckland, 1149
Travel documents must be received by the office within the specified refund period.
Rail Guru is not responsible for passes, tickets or vouchers which are lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed. Refunds cannot be authorized in such cases. Travel insurance is strongly recommended. Rail Guru offers a Rail Protection Plan which will compensate travellers for passes and tickets lost or stolen in Europe. Refer to the following section “Rail Protection Plan” for full details.
- Customer means the person who engages the services of Rail Guru by purchasing a pass or ticket.
- The customer authorises Rail Guru, as agent of the customer, to arrange for Australia Post or NZ Post (Post option) or Toll Holdings (courier option) to transport the tickets to the customer.
- Delivery of the passes and tickets occurs when Rail Guru delivers the documents to Australia Post/NZ Post or Toll Holdings.
- Risk in the pass or ticket passes to the customer when delivery occurs in accordance with clause 3.
- The obligations of Rail Guru in relation to arranging transport (where authorised by the customer to do so) is limited to arranging (as agents for the customer) transport of the passes or tickets by Australia Post/NZ Post or a reputable courier. Rail Guru assumes no liability and is not responsible for any loss, theft, expense or delay once a ticket has been collected from Rail Guru premises, whether by the customer or another person.
- The customer acknowledges that when Rail Guru, as agent for and on behalf of the customer, concludes any contract with a third party, such agreement is concluded between the customer and the third party on the third parties standard terms and conditions which may include exclusions or limitations of liability.
- An additional charge applies if tickets are required to be sent directly to the airport.
RAIL PROTECTION PLAN
The Rail Protection Plan is only available with the following products issued by Rail Guru:
- European/UK Passes & Tickets (excludes reservation fees) & Japan Passes.
- Under the Rail Protection Plan, if your rail pass/ticket is lost or stolen in Europe/Japan, upon your return to Australia/ New Zealand you will be reimbursed for the unused portion of your original rail pass/ticket.
- The Rail Protection Plan must be purchased at the same time the rail pass/ticket is issued.
- The Rail Protection Plan fee is non-refundable and non-changeable.
- Please read the actual description of coverage below.
Description of Coverage
Rail Guru will by payment, reimburse the passholder(s) named on the rail pass/ticket for the theft or accidental loss of travel documents in Europe & Japan. Reimbursement will only be made for rail passes/tickets issued by Rail Guru subject to exclusions, limitations and conditions contained below.
Loss means the theft or accidental loss of the rail pass/ticket.
Effective Period means the time of arrival in Europe & Japan to 23:59 hours (11:59pm) on the last day the rail pass/ticket is valid. The Rail Protection Plan only applies to loss sustained during the effective period.
The Rail Protection Plan does not apply to any loss caused by:
- Delay, detention or confiscation by Customs Officers or Officials or Police or other Security Personnel.
- The Rail Pass/ticket is not in your actual possession at the time of loss.
- War, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power.
- Any dishonest, fraudulent or criminal act by the Pass/ticket holder.
- Damage due to wear and tear or gradual deterioration.
Limits of Liability
Reimbursement will be based on the unused value of the lost pass/ ticket or the cost of the replacement tickets purchased in Europe/Japan, whichever is the lesser value.
The loss date shall be the date on which the pass/ticket holder first became aware of the loss of the rail pass/ticket or the date 24 hours prior to the reporting of the loss to the police, whichever is later.
a) If the pass/ticket is lost or stolen in Europe or Japan, the pass/ticket holder will be reimbursed the value of the unused portion of the original pass/ticket or the value of the replacement pass/tickets purchased in Europe or Japan, whichever is lower. In the case of loss/theft of a rail ticket(s), the ticket holder must purchase a ticket(s) for the same city pairs, and same date, in order to be reimbursed for the value of either the original or the replacement rail ticket(s), whichever is lower.
b) Rail Protection Plan is strictly limited to loss or theft occurring in Europe or Japan.
c) The pass/ticket holder must file a police report within 24 hrs of the loss.
d) The pass/ticket holder must purchase either a replacement rail pass or point to point rail tickets (Air and bus tickets do not apply)
e) Notice of any claim must be given to Rail Guru within 30 days of your return from Europe or Japan, or within 6 months of original rail travel commencement, whichever is earlier. All original receipts showing amounts paid for Rail passes/tickets issued by Rail Guru, police report, replacement pass/ticket and tickets/boarding passes (Australia-Europe or Australia - Japan and return), must be submitted to validate claim.
f) If any claims made under this program are covered by any other valid and collectable insurance or indemnity, Rail Guru will only pay the difference between the amount paid under the other policy and the total amount which would otherwise be payable under this program.
g) No change to this program will be valid unless in writing and signed by Rail Guru.
h) No legal action may be brought to recover on this program within 60 days after a claim has been submitted as required herein, and no such legal action may be brought after one year from the time that a claim is required to be filed.
i) Any provision of this program that is in conflict with applicable law is hereby amended to conform to minimum requirements of such law.
j) Rail Protection Policies are non-refundable.
TO FILE A CLAIM
While in Europe or Japan
1) Report loss/theft of pass/ticket to local police within 24 hrs and obtain police report
2) In Europe purchase a new Eurail pass or ticket for remaining days of travel from a Eurail aid office. A list of locations is sent to your with your pass. In Japan purchase new tickets for the remaining days of travel from a Japan Rail station.
Within 30 days of returning home send us:
1) A written report which includes the Rail Guru booking reference number, pass/ticket holder's name, the date the pass was validated, how many days were unused, and a description of what happened to the pass.
2) Your official police report and your receipts for your replacement ticket/passes.
3) Original replacement tickets/passes (failure to provide original tickets/passes will see your claim not processed).
4) A copy of your return airline ticket/ boarding passes.
5) Make a copy of all documents for your own records
6) Send all required documentation to
Send all of the required documentation to:
In Australia: Melbourne Flinders Lane PS, PO BOX 328, Flinders Lane, VIC 8009
Email: [email protected]
In New Zealand: PO BOX 9868 Newmarket, Auckland, 1149
Email: [email protected]
Direct Deposit, PoLi, Cheque (5 working days to clear before documents are sent), and by credit card (American Express, Visa and MasterCard are accepted) Surcharges for credit card payments may apply.
All our online credit card payments are protected by 128bit SSL encryption and handled directly by Direct Payment Solutions, New Zealand
Please apply for your passes at least 15 days prior to your departure from Australia or New Zealand. Rail Guru will always try to help if less notice is given, but Rail Guru is not responsible for delays in delivery service or otherwise. If a product is ordered at short notice, Rail Guru will charge an additional fee for overnight delivery service of $25.
Booking Fees / How to use your Pass
Rail Guru Australia booking fees
$4 per person per journey capped at $32 per file
Pass issuance fee $3 per Pass capped at max $9
Once off Booking Fee for other products where above fees are not applicable: $45
Rail Guru New Zealand booking fees:
$5 per person per journey capped at $35 per file
Pass issuance fee $5 per Pass capped at max $15
Once off Booking Fee for other products where above fees are not applicable: $45
How to Validate and Use Your Pass
- Passes are to be validated within 6 months from the date of issue and prior to the first day of use. To validate your pass present your passport and your pass to a railway official in a railway ticket office (not the conductor) from the country in which it is valid. The railway official will enter the first and last date of validity on the pass. This must be done before boarding a train, bus or boat. In most cases validity runs from midnight to midnight for the period shown on the pass but check individual passes/countries for variations. All services, rail, rental car, air travel and travel bonuses must be used within the validity of the accompanying rail pass.
- All persons listed on control vouchers/ passes must be present when validating a Saverpass, Twin pass or Britrail Party Pass.
- Under no circumstances is the holder allowed to validate his or her own pass, nor should pass holders enter their own passport number. Tampering with or altering a pass renders the pass void and authorizes train staff to confiscate the pass and subjects passenger to a fine payable in local currency.
- Passes are strictly non-transferable and are only valid for those whose name appears on the pass. Use by anyone other than those named will invalidate the pass and will result in a heavy fine in local currency and confiscation of the pass. It is compulsory to present passports to railway officials on request.
- Passes are not valid on hotel trains, private or specialty trains unless otherwise stated.
- On Flexipasses, before boarding the first train or ship of the day, you must enter the date in ink, in the appropriate calendar box on your pass. Failure to comply with validation and date of use regulations is considered travelling without a ticket and will result in a fine collected on board the train. Train personnel are authorized to confiscate the pass in addition to levying the fine.
- Passes are available in first and second class unless stated otherwise. Passengers holding first class passes are also permitted to travel in standard/second class. Passengers holding standard/second class passes are permitted to travel in first class only if they pay the difference between the two fares as applicable locally.
- Travellers are responsible for ensuring that they have all necessary visas and appropriate travel documents prior to their departure from Australia and New Zealand.
- Travel documents must remain in their official ticket cover to be eligible for travel.
- All rail passes are issued open dated. A Pass Issuance Fee will apply.
- Seat reservations, sleepers and couchettes, travel on Premier trains, luggage checking and port taxes, are all subject to additional charges which are not covered by the passes. These, including meals and refreshments, are all to be paid separately. Luggage checking, port taxes, meals and refreshments as well as seat reservations, sleepers and couchettes reserved locally must be paid abroad in local currency.
- Rail passes do not include the cost of admission fees to sightseeing venues/tourist attractions unless they are listed as a Bonus Travel Offer included with the pass.
All transportation covered by those passes where use is intended for more than one country is subject to the Uniform Rules concerning the Contract for International Carriage of Passengers and Luggage by Rail (CIV). National and/or single-country passes are subject to rules and regulations of their specific countries. Neither the British or European railroads nor Rail Guru assume any responsibility for damages resulting from a strike.
Japan Rail, Amtrak USA & City Pass Products
- Fares quoted in AUD or NZD are subject to change without prior notice. Additional local processing and amendment fees may apply to any change, cancellation or refund. Cancellation fees in Australia are subject to 10% GST.
RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY
- Rail Guru acts only as a booking agent. Rail Guru has no control over, and is not responsible for, any of the tours, passes, attractions, hotels and other travel components listed in that site. All bookings are accepted and all passes are issued on the express condition that, Rail Guru is not responsible or liable for any loss (consequential or otherwise); damage (including but not limited to loss of, or damage to passengers' clothes, baggage, inconvenience or irregularity caused by, or arising out of, or in connection with, any defect in any vehicle or other, air, land or sea conveyance used, or traveled in; or through the negligence, willful misconduct, strikes or other acts, defaults or omissions of any carrier, hotel, restaurant, or any other provider of goods or services.
- Every booking is accepted subject to the conditions, tariffs and regulations imposed by the air, rail, shipping, bus, car rental, hotel or other companies, firms or persons concerned.
- Rail Guru reserves the right to alter, cancel or substitute any component of the package.
- All items of a personal nature not specifically mentioned in the tour description, such as phone calls, tips, taxis, etc., are the responsibility of each passenger.