How to use your Japan Rail Pass
Japan Trains are high-tech wonders, fast, frequent, punctual, clean and comfortable.
The Japan Rail Pass offers excellent value and convenience. The value of a JR pass is affordable train travel for prices less than a return bullet train trip from Tokyo to Kyoto.
JR Pass convenience is expressed in eliminating the need to purchase multiple train tickets journey. JR Passes are available to Japan's visitors and can only be purchased outside of Japan.
How to use your Japan Rail Pass:
Purchase a Japan Rail Pass from Rail Guru. Regardless of purchase date, Rail Guru will safely store your voucher and issue it 2 months from departure date. If you are leaving for Japan in less than 60 days we will send it to you immediately.
● Upon receiving your exchange voucher, check the details on the voucher are the same as the names on your passport. It is essential that passport names are exactly the same or you will not be able to exchange it. Note the date of issue on your exchange voucher because you have 90 days from issue date to exchange your voucher for a JR Pass.
● Once you arrive in Japan, immigration will stamp your passport with a temporary visa status stamp. You cannot exchange your voucher for a rail pass without this stamp.
● Visit an exchange office at any major JR station or Narita and Kansai International Airports. Exchange your voucher for your Japan Rail Pass.
● Specify your first day of rail travel for your 1, 2 or 3 weeks of rail travel.
● You also have the option of making seat reservations free of charge at any Japanese ticket office. Rail Guru recommends booking seat reservations during peak travel season. Seat reservations are compulsory for Green (first class) pass holders.
Armed with a JR Pass you are primed for unlimited train travel for a consecutive period of 7, 14 or 21 days on JR lines and affiliated buses and ferries.